‘The Heart is a Rebel’ ~
CFDb Movie Review & Recommendation
The Heart is a Rebel – For four years, Hal (John Milford, Gunsmoke, The X-Files) and Joan Foster (Georgia Lee, The Restless Ones; Oiltown, U.S.A.) have been struggling with their son’s serious illness. Intelligent, resourceful, and emotionally stable, the young couple is determined to get through this.Most of all, they know what to expect from each other. But then a preacher comes on the scene—and everything changes.
This thought-provoking drama also stars jazz/blues legend Ethel Waters (Pinky, The Member of the Wedding) as Gladys, the nurse who exerts a profound influence on the family, and features her inspiring renditions of “His Eye is on the Sparrow” and the spiritual “Motherless Child.” Special appearance by Billy Graham and directed by Dick Ross.
Sorry I could not find a trailer for this one.
What a fantastic film! An oldie but goodie! I saw this many years ago and had the pleasure of watching it again for a review. This is what I liked about this film:
- Ethel Waters and her rendition of “His Eye is on the Sparrow”. Powerful!
- Ethel Waters AGAIN – her Christianity in action in her character, in every thing she does. She permeated Jesus.
- The heart cannot be trusted – we know this from Scripture too – Jeremiah 17:9 – The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? In other words…we can’t go by our feelings…
- The world is full of sadness…why? Because of sin and what man did, not God.
- Doctors aren’t God and they need to rely on the Great Physician too.
- How women dressed during this time period. Respectful.
- Clearly shown how difficult it is to have an unbelieving spouse. Sometimes even more difficult if one person accepts Christ as their Lord and Savior AFTER they get married.
A real gem! If you like the classic films, you’ll love this one too!
Purchase on DVD
If you would like your Christian Film Reviewed by CFDb, contact us for more details.