CFDb Movie Review
The true-story of Ashley Smith, the Atlanta hostage hero.
Captive is based on the true events that occurred in Atlanta, Ga., on March 11, 2005. Brian Nichols, who will be played by David Oyelowo, broke out of a courthouse jail and shot dead the judge assigned to his case as well as a court reporter, sheriff’s deputy and FBI officer. While eluding a statewide manhunt, Nichols took Ashley Smith (Kate Mara), a single mother struggling with meth addiction, hostage in her own apartment.
Over the course of her ordeal, Smith used a book she had been given, Rick Warren‘s The Purpose Driven Life, to reason with her captor, with surprising results.
Based on a true story, this is a film that will keep you on the edge of your seat and shock you at times. Here were some highlights:
- Watching the pain of addictions and what they cause.
- The persistence of the woman at the Celebrate Recovery group.
- You never know what seed a kind gesture might sow in someone’s life. Sow the Good seed wherever you can. Leave the results with God.
- We all need to pay attention to warnings, to our surroundings. And yet…this experience that Ashley went through literally changed her life for the better. Trials can strengthen us if we allow them to.
- Desperate people do desperate things.
- Doing the right thing to spare someone else.
- When life has meaning, anything becomes bearable.
- You don’t have to be perfect to be used by God.
This film has the Hollywood feel to it, along with a message of hope in the midst of a terrible ordeal.
If you would like your Christian Film Reviewed by CFDb, contact us for more details.