‘The War Within’ ~
CFDb Movie Review & Recommendation
The fate of his marriage lies in his soul.
THE WAR WITHIN is a unique fantasy that takes viewers to a world that only God can see; the world of the inner man.
Michael Sinclair (Brett Varvel) is a syndicated cartoonist whose dream of a perfect life is upended when tragic events transform his dream into a nightmare. The result is a war that wages within his soul which is personified by six members; Mind, Memory, Emotion, Will, Conscience, and Heart. The ensuing battle for control adversely effects his relationship with his wife Amy (Rebecca Reid) and causes Michael to doubt his faith in God. But in the midst of this spiritual test, Michael discovers that victory is found in surrender.
As viewers follow the quest for answers inside of Michael, they may discover their own war within.
If you haven’t seen, ‘The Board‘, the prequel, you don’t know what you’re missing and we highly recommend you watch BOTH of these films. These are films that are really thought provoking about the inner struggles with have within ourselves. Here are some highlights from this one:
- Ever wonder how life would be if you could go back and change one mistake? (Who hasn’t right – but that doesn’t follow Paul’s advice, which we all need to heed – Philippians 3:13, 14 – Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do; forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.)
- Very unique pictures within pictures during parts of the flashbacks.
- The thought/saying “Jesus, do whatever You can to save…”. How many of us have said that same exact prayer, and then wonder “WHY GOD WHY” when something happens.
- We need to keep our emotions in check. We can’t base our decisions on circumstances or emotions.
- The Bible reveals our true condition and light cannot shine when we’re spiritually weak.
- The strong emotion of fear and how evil can take over our lives if we let it. Reminds me of one of my favorite verses, II Timothy 1:7 – For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
- There is an intense spiritual warfare going on all around us, but even inside us!
- There is one intense powerful scene about silencing our conscious. Similar to us no longer listening to the Holy Spirit because of constant ignoring His advice and convictions.
- Salvation is a Person, a way of commitment.
- Loved the friend’s attitude too.
- The book – The Good Shepherd Book, a powerful children’s book that is soon to be released. Keep an eye out for it – what a fabulous story to use in sharing Jesus with others, children and adults. There is a clip within the film that is covered in the Bonus Features section. Great for a teaching tool. This book was written and illustrated by Brett Varvel‘s father. Brett is the writer/director/producer and acting in this film.
Don’t miss this powerful film. We sometimes highlight a favorite but we really can’t for this one, as we really enjoyed ALL the cast!
If you would like your Christian Film Reviewed by CFDb, contact us for more details.